Welcome to our SEND Local Offer to families, which details how we support children and young people with a special educational need and / or disability. Please click HERE to see the full Local Offer or click on the questions below for further information. 

  • How does the school know if children need extra help?

    We know pupils may need extra help if:

    • concerns are raised by parents/carers, school staff, outside agencies or the pupil’s previous school
    • there is lack of progress identified through frequent Pupil Progress Meetings or through ongoing class teacher assessments
    • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or wider circumstances causing a change in the pupils approach to learning
    • a pupil asks for help.
  • What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

    If you have concerns then contact your child’s teacher in the first instance. A further meeting may follow with the SENDCO, if needed.

  • How will the school support my child?
    • All pupils’ learning needs are planned for by the class teacher to ensure quality first teaching. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.
    • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas, such as spelling, handwriting, social & emotional learning, numeracy & literacy skills etc. then they may be given additional targeted support in a personalised way. This will be delivered by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The interventions will be regularly reviewed to ensure progress. Parents/carers will be informed if they are in receipt of this support and are welcomed to discuss this with the school at any point.
    • Pupil Progress Meetings are held frequently. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with a member of the Leadership Team and/or the SENDCO to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any current learning needs in order for further support to be planned.
    • Occasionally a pupil may need further support form an outside agency such as the Child Development Centre, Occupational Therapy, Speech & Language Therapy, Social Care or the School Nurse etc. Referral will be discussed with parents/carers and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After assessment, recommendations or advice are given to the school and parents/carers.
    • The Governors of the School are responsible for entrusting a named person to monitor Special Educational Needs, Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures (see school’s own policy). Governors are involved in reviewing and monitoring the effectiveness of all school provisions.
  • How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?
    • When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be matched to the pupils’ needs by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum.
    • School support staff may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
    • If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.
    • When the personalised curriculum is not sufficient to meet the pupils’ needs, targeted intervention will be put into place and where appropriate, will involve outside agencies.

    We hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any further questions.

  • How will I know how my child is doing?
    • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Structured Conversations.
    • If you have concerns then contact your child’s teacher in the first instance. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCDCO by visiting the school office.
    • Individual Learning Plans are sent home regularly for those pupils requiring school support. Targets will be agreed between the school, parents/carers and the pupil, where appropriate.
    • Children with a significant level of Special Educational Need will have Education Health and Care Plans.
  • How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

    The class teacher will suggest ways of supporting your child’s learning.

    • The SENCDO may meet with you to discuss how to support your child.
    • Where appropriate, other professionals may meet with you discuss strategies to use if there are problems with a child’s emotional needs for instance.
    • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and intervention programmes may be provided that can be used to support the learning of your child either at home or in school.
  • What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

    The school offers a wide variety of pastoral care to support the well-being of all pupils. These include:

    • Members of staff are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. The class teacher is the initial point of contact for both parents and pupils.
    • At lunchtime, experienced staff provide fun games and activities to help develop pupils social skills and enable them to form friendships.
    • The Learning Mentors provide additional support to pupils who are experiencing emotional difficulties and their families. This may include sessions where concerns are discussed, solutions planned and support put in place.
    • If a pupil has a medical need, then a detailed Care Plan is compiled in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil. This will clearly identify any specific training required to support the individual medical need.
    • In order for the school to do this, we ask parents/carers to keep us up to date with pupils current medical needs.
    • Where necessary, and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school (see Administration of Medicines policy)
  • What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

    At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. The agencies used by the school include:

    • School Nurse
    • Speech & Language
    • Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy services
    • Child Development Centre
    • Family Link Worker
    • Social Communication Team
    • Advisory Teachers- Learning & behaviour
    • Sensory Support Team- Visual and Hearing Impaired
    • CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service)
    • Educational Welfare Officer
    • Social Services
    • Educational Psychologist
  • What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?
    • One of the SENCDO’s roles is to support the class teachers and other adults in planning for children with a SEND.
    • These training needs are tailored to individual pupils.
    • The training needs of staff are met through county training and in school training, by the SENDCO, other staff or relevant outside agencies as appropriate.
  • How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
    • We aim to include children in all parts of the curriculum and we aim for all children to be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips.
    • Risk assessments are carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety will not be compromised.
    • Sometimes a parent may be asked to accompany the child or alternative arrangements will be discussed.
  • How accessible is the school environment?

    As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:

    • ramps into school to make the building accessible to all
    • toilets adapted for disabled users
    • wide doors in some parts of the building. We continually review accessibility of our school environment to ensure it meets the needs of our school community (see School Accessibility Plan)
  • How will we support your child when they join or leave our school or move to another class?

    We understand what a stressful time moving schools can be therefore many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

    If your child is joining our school in Reception:

    • we will visit most pre-school settings and arrange follow up home visits or meetings

    If your child is moving to another school or joining us from another school:

    • we will contact the new/old SENDCO and ensure any special arrangements or support needed to be made for your child are passed on
    • we will make sure all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible and these are chased for any pupil joining us
    • we will attend meetings or set up phone calls between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving
    • we may set up additional visits to the new school, where needed.

    When moving classes in school:

    • all pupils attend a transition visit where they spend time with their new class teacher in July of each year.
    • information will be passed on to new class teachers in advance of the move.

    In year 6:

    • secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school
    • the SENDCO or appropriate members of staff from the primary and secondary schools meet to pass on information regarding pupils with special educational needs and those from vulnerable groups
    • the normal induction programme to secondary school maybe elaborated through additional visits to the school
    • where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting maybe arranged with the primary SENDCO an appropriate member of staff from the secondary school, the parents/carers and the pupil.
  • How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
    • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs.
    • Additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at the pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised with them at another time during the year.
    • If any concerns are raised, on completion of the assessments, further support or resources maybe allocated to your child.
    • Pupil Premium payments are used to support those pupils learning and well-being (see Pupil Premium information on school website).
  • How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?
    • A decision about how much support is allocated is dependent on the level of need and impact of interventions.
    • If the pupil has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan, we always ensure that the statutory requirements are met (as a minimum).
    • We also seek and follow guidance from other professionals working with the pupil/family and take on board the wishes and feelings of the child and parents/carers.
    • The pupil and parents/carers are consulted and informed when planning interventions and are informed about the impact and outcomes of support and of next steps.
  • How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

    All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

    • discussions with the class teacher
    • Structured Conversations
    • discussions with the SENDCO or other professionals Parents are encouraged to be active in discussing their child’s school support with their class teacher and can request a meeting at any time.
  • Who can I contact for further information?

    If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are concerned about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact one of the following:

    • your child’s class teacher
    • the SENDCO
    • a member of the Senior Leadership Team
    • Parent Partnership (an independent body)

    Any complaints regarding provision for children with SEND should initially be referred to the Interim SENDCO, Mrs Farrelly, and then on to the Associate Principal, Mrs Dunne. This is in line with our School Complaints Policy.